We are often asked about how we address recent data breaches. One of the immediate solutions we have in place is that uContact as standard is hosted in a 100% Multi-Instance environment. What does that mean?
The basics are that in a Multi-Instance environment all of our customers run their platform on separate infrastructure, with their information kept entirely apart from any other instance. Multi-Tenant means that your information is kept within the same architecture, this can lead to data leakage and a high chance of vulnerability. It’s important to note that many times a software may be labelled as Multi-Instance but they use a Multi-Tenant architecture for their databasing.
Let’s look at why people would decide on either environment.
- Easier and more time efficient customizations as your changes are localized to your instance.
- You become less of a target to hackers as your database alone is less valuable than the entire cross instance data of another platform.
- Easier for certification as you can identify who and where your data is at all times.
- You can customize and control your platform to a greater degree as it resides entirely on your own architecture.
- You can move where your data is stored, either to another cloud server or a on-premise server.
- Because you don’t share infrastructure you have more available power for dialing, telephony, etc.
- Cheaper as you share computing power and resources with other instances.
- Potentially faster update times for the developer. This may lead to your instance going down when you don’t expect it as updates are universal.
- Ability for the developer to save time and cost and potentially pass savings on to you.
So why select Multi–Instance over Multi-Tenant?
If you have sensitive data, or are governed by any privacy certifications (GDPR, HIPPA, etc..) then the choice becomes very narrow. Your data is far more vulnerable but you may potentially see short term cost savings in a Multi-Tenant solution. In a Multi-Instance environment, you will have more flexibility where and how your data is managed and be come to customize and personalize the platform.
For us it’s a no brainer. Not only for security and customization but it also removes some of the stress of moving from an on premise storage option to the cloud. Our data transfer is to a single optimized location. In a Multi-Instance environment, you make the rules, you have the control, and your data is safer.